Sunday 14 July 2024

Chelsea Art Walk Ekphrastic poetry

 


Hello Snakeappletree,

I am a poet who participated to the Chelsea Art Walk Ekphrastic poetry contest and I selected your painting Ishtar Is Itza for inspiration. It is a very powerful work, full of mystery and beautiful. 

I am sending you the poem it inspired to me which I titled "Ishtar". I hope you enjoy it. 

Thank you for participating in the art walk and for the inspiration it provided. 

Frederique Eilish McMillan




Ishtar


An ekphrastic poem on Ishtar Is Itza by snakeappletree



Where are you now Ishtar of the black kohl and red iris?

Do you still roam the green and fertile lands of the Tigris?


Cradle of the civilization, garden of Eden 

You brought true love and fertility to this near heaven.


The bright flame between your eyes compels all, farmers, beggars

To convene in the fields, delight in your carnal pleasures.


Ironically your figure of mystery hides dark

In a wall of fabric and flowing veils masking your spark


Hair gray, your curls now hide the dance of civilization

The slow footsteps leading us towards sterilization 


You show us a tear sinuous on your cheek for you miss

What was once a land of joy now facing the existential abyss.  


Frederique Eilish McMillan

11 July 2024





Hi Frederique, 

My most humble gratitude. 

I absolutely did not expect anybody to give any feedback at all, most especially something positive, and to be of any inspiration. Thank you so much! 

Your poem is both mirthful and sad. Full of life and color. Witty too, the rhymes and descriptions. 

I am pleased it helped you to bring that through. 

You are a good poet, you have a fan here not because of the picture but that you genuinely are talented. 

I am excited to hear more of your words. 

Do you have anything published? 

Do you do open mic sessions in sl? 

Hoping to see you soon

snakeappletree




No comments:

Post a Comment